A perfect snack, make these quesadillas ahead then cook them just before you want to eat. Sour cream and salsa are perfect accompaniments.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes Makes: 24 wedges.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 8-oz (227 g) skinless, boneless Ontario turkey breast, cut into thin strips
- 1 large green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large whole wheat flour tortillas
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded light Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) salsa (optional)
ONE: In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat and cook turkey, stirring for about 5 minutes or until no longer pink inside. Remove to plate.
TWO: Return skillet to medium-high heat and cook pepper, onion and chili powder for about 3 minutes or until onions just begins to soften. Stir in turkey, hot pepper sauce and pepper.
THREE: Divide turkey mixture among half of each of the tortillas. Sprinkle with cheese and fold over uncovered half, pressing to help seal.
FOUR: Wipe out skillet and place over medium heat and place folded tortilla in pan and cook, on both sides until lightly browned. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Cut each into 4 wedges and serve with salsa, if desired.