Chipotle peppers add a smoky heat to this summertime salad while citrus adds a freshness that’s pure summertime backyard eating.
- 1 pkg (about 400 g) Ontario turkey breast slices or tenders
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) grated orange rind
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) orange juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 chipotle pepper, minced
- 3 cups (750 mL) mixed baby greens
- 3 cups (750 mL) broccoli slaw
- 1 cup (250 mL) grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) corn kernels
- 2 cups (500 mL) tortilla chips
- Lime wedges
- 1 small ripe but firm avocado, chopped
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) lime juice
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) white wine or cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and freshly ground black pepper
For Avocado Dressing: In a small food processor combine avocado, lime juice, water, vinegar, cilantro, garlic, salt and pepper until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
ONE: In a bowl, whisk orange rind and juice, oil, cilantro and chipotle pepper. Add turkey and turn to coat evenly. Let stand for 15 minutes or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
TWO: Place turkey on greased grill over medium-high heat for about 12 minutes or until no longer pink inside and thermometer reaches 170 F (77 C). Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
THREE: In a large bowl, combine greens, broccoli slaw, tomatoes and corn. Toss with dressing. Divide among 4 plates and top with turkey. Place tortillas around salad and top with lime wedge to squeeze over top just before eating.
Recipe courtesy of Turkey Farmers of Ontario.