Pack up these burrito bowls and take them for lunch, dinner or after work out snack. These are delicious warm or cold and the fresh squeeze of lime over top gives the fresh veggies a lift and cools down the heat from the chipotle. Plus, makes use of leftover vegetable or cooked quinoa, which are the perfect way to change up the toppings for your burrito bowl.
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola or vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pkg (450 g) ground Ontario turkey
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 can (19 oz/ 540 mL) white beans or chickpea, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked rice
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) chunky salsa
- 1 large or 2 small canned chipotle chilies in adobo, minced
- 1 container grape (or heirloom cherry) tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup (250 mL) corn kernals
- 2 avocados, diced
- 4 lime wedges
- Sour cream (optional)
In a large nonstick skillet heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic
for 3 minutes or until softened.
TWO: Increase heat to medium-high and add turkey, salt and pepper; cook, breaking up turkey for about 5 minutes or until browned. THREE: Stir in beans, rice, salsa and chipotle; cook, stirring for about 3 minutes or until heated through and turkey is no longer pink inside.
FOUR: Divide rice among bowls, top each with turkey mixture then tomatoes, corn and avocado. Serve with lime wedge to squeeze over top and sour cream if desired.