Since I typically get home from work some time after 6, and since the days are getting shorter, I’ve taken to running in the dark.
I know my mother and grandmotherS wouldn’t approve, but I feel safe, I keep my music low, and I always run on busy, well-lit streets.
In fact, I actually love the adrenaline of rush of running under the night sky; I find I run faster and I’m more alert.
But there are definitely negative aspects and I’ve encountered so may as of late, that I thought they were “running blog idol post-worthy”
In my last few night runs, I’ve encountered 1 or all of the following:
- Creepy men yelling out the window: even if you’re yelling flattering comments, yelling of any nature (or honking) or even staring at a runner is tacky and gross…
- Racoons climbing up trees: I’m not an animal personal and any kind of nocturnal creature freaks me the heck out.
- Skunk-smell: if you can smell them then you know they can’t be too far away. I’ll be totally surprised if I make it through the fall running season without getting sprayed.
- An egg flying out of a car window, directed at my head: something about having ANYTHING thrown at me makes me want to cry.
- BATS: mice with wings, YIKES!