By: Angela Simpson
Even though the days seem to be getting shorter and the temperatures are cooler, there’s no need to trade the barbeque for oven-cooked meals any time soon. When it comes to nutrition, grilling is one of the healthiest ways of cooking out there, and it’s super fast. These tacos are totally loaded with colour and flavour thanks to the juicy nectarine salsa and veggie fillings. The tilapia will provide you with a hefty dose of lean protein, a key macronutrient that we need in order for our muscles to repair and grow post-workout. Pile in as many toppings as you want, and enjoy!
For the fish:
2 tilapia fillets, about 150g each (other white fish such as cod or haddock would work as well)
juice of 1/2 lime
sea salt and black pepper
chili powder (optional)
For the salsa:
1 nectarine, pitted and diced (try to preserve the juices and add them to the mixture too)
4 finely diced cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp diced red onion
2 tsp finely shredded cilantro (or parsley)
2 tsp fresh shredded basil
juice of 1/2 lime
zest of 1/2 lime
For the rest:
thinly shredded green and/or purple cabbage
2 whole grain tortillas (I use La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious Whole Grain Rye wraps which can be found here.)
1. Prepare the salsa first by chopping all ingredients as indicated above. Mix them all together in a bowl and set aside.
2. Lightly oil grill and preheat to medium.
3. Squeeze lime juice over the tilapia fillets and sprinkle with sea salt, black pepper, and a few pinches of chili powder (optional).
4. Grill tilapia for about 4 minutes per side, or until completely opaque.
5. Line one half of each tortilla with shredded cabbage. Follow with the grilled fish, and top with salsa.
6. Serve immediately, with lime wedges on the side as a garnish if desired.
Angela is an avid runner, fitness instructor, foodie, healthy living blogger, and owner of her business, Spin 360 Health Coaching. Having been overweight, unhappy and insecure as a teenager, Angela took control, changed her unhealthy habits, and adopted a clean eating lifestyle that she continues to maintain today. Her goal is to support, inspire, and motivate others to improve their health and be their best.
You can learn more about Angela on her blog, Eat Spin Run Repeat.
Keep up-to-date- on what Angela is up to through social media::